Most people would like the environment to be just as clean as they keep their own home. So why not kill two birds with one stone? Here are some tips and tricks that will make your home more ecofriendly.
- Start buying ecofriendly cleaning products. Not only will this reduce pollution but can also help with your allergies and asthma. You can buy these products in your local store or you can make some ecofriendly products yourself using household materials such as baking soda and tea tree.
- Try to avoid eating meat a few times a week. We’re not saying go completely vegetarian, but raising livestock produces greenhouse gases. So, the less meat we eat, the less livestock that needs to be raised.
- Spend some time adding insulation to your windows and doors. This can reduce your air conditioning/ heating use by 20-30 percent.
- Rather than throwing out old clothes, donate them. Not only does this help those less fortunate, but it also helps the environment by not requiring a new piece of clothing to be produced while an old one is off to a landfill.
- Similar to the previous point, try to donate/ sell old furniture as well as buy it. Not only is it cheaper to buy used, but retro furniture is back in style.
- Choose cooking utensils that are safe. For example, buy glass tupperware rather than plastic, especially if you plan on putting these containers in the microwave as the chemicals from plastic will leak into your food. The same goes for pots and pans, the safer options are materials such as cast iron and stainless steel.
- Choose unscented products. Many people are scent sensitive these days, so choosing unscented products is already encouraged, but scents can also throw off your hormone balance as well as they are harmful to the ecosystem when being discarded of.
- Decorate with Bamboo or stones rather than wood. Wood is often coated in chemicals that are harmful to the environment.
These are just a few of many things you can do to make your living space more ecofriendly. Have any tips and tricks of your own? Comment below!