It's no secret that summers in Ottawa are short lived, but why not make the most of them? Landscaping your front and backyard into a mini paradise is a great way to ensure that you'll optimize the nice weather while it lasts. Here are some quick tips on how to maximize the potential of your yard:
1. Build a path out of cobble stones. Not only do paths add an elegant look to the yard, but they also allow the convenience of travelling throughout the yard without ruining the grass. You can also add flowers on either side of the path to make it more colourful.
2. Add a water feature. Pools can be expensive, but water features with a few fish can be nearly as entertaining, cost much less and have a much classier look to them.
3. Build or buy a tree house. This is a great way to ensure that your kids are enjoying the outdoors as much as you! If you're handy, you can build one yourself, and if you're not, you can also purchase them at the store!
4. Add lighting or lanterns. By doing this, you can enjoy your outdoor space, even at night time!
5. Comfortable seating. This is probably the most important tip, because if you don't have comfortable seating, it won't matter how aesthetically pleasing your outdoor space is, now one will use it! A table and sitting chairs are standard, but adding some lounge chairs and an umbrella will make it even better! A great idea for kids is to add a few large pillows for them to lounge on. If they get dirty, just take off the cover, wash, and put them back on!
6. Create a garden. Not only are they beautiful and colourful, but plants are also said to increase happiness and productivity. If you're having trouble maintaining good plant soil, use banana peels, eggs or ground coffee to increase the quality. Or if weeds are your issue, some natural ways to kill them are cornmeal, vinegar or boiling water.