There are many ways to refine your search on our website, in order to better fit your specific needs. Here are a few options with instructions on how to carry out the search.
1. Search by Neighbourhoods- You will notice that under the “neighbourhoods” tab on our website, we have defined the 9 major areas (Central, East, West, South, Nepean, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans and Barrhaven). If you select an area, we provide information on the area, the neighbourhoods that are included and search results refined to that area.
2. Polygon Search- Under the “search listings” tab, select the map icon and a map will drop down. You will notice in the top left hand corner of the map there will be a button suggesting that you draw a polygon. If you select that, you can drop pins wherever you would like on the map to make an enclosed section. The search will then be refined to the listings within your polygon. You can then copy the URL and save it for a later date. Then, every time you paste that URL and return to that page, the search will automatically appear but will be updated to reflect any new listings within your polygon or any listings that have been sold or removed. The polygon search allows you to search the exact area that interests you, rather than a postal code or neighbourhood which have already been defined. You can even refine your search to a single street or building.
3. Radius Search- This search is very similar to the polygon search and can be found in the same place. The benefit is that it is quicker than the polygon search but the disadvantage is that it only draws a circle. It’s a great way to quickly draw a circle around the area that you are interested in and can include several neighbourhoods and postal codes, rather than looking up each neighbourhood individually.
4. In Bounds Search- This search can be found right beside the polygon and radius search buttons. The search in bounds simply saves a search of all of the properties in the area shown in the map. This area is quite large and includes several neighbourhoods but is still more refined than the going through all the listings in Ottawa. To choose an area, just click on the map and dragged it into place like you would on Google.
5. More Options- Above the map on the right hand side, you will notice a button that reads “more options”. If you select it, a more refined list of neighbourhoods will appear. This is a handy tool if, for example, you’d like to live in Alta Vista. If you don’t know the parameters of Alta Vista, it will be difficult to draw a polygon. And although Alta Vista is in the south, you’d rather not spend time going through all the south Ottawa listings as there will be many that are in neighbourhoods other than Alta Vista. So the more options search is perfect for you.
If you get stuck or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our experienced REALTORS®!