Whether you’re a winter lover or hater, if you live in Ottawa the season is inevitable. But don’t fret too much, because before winter is one of the most beautiful seasons of all, fall! Here are some tips and tricks on how to transition your house from summer to fall.
- Although it’s not snowy season yet, you typically don’t need to use air conditioning during the fall. If you have an outdoor unit, now is a good time to cover it so it won’t get damaged by the rain or snow.
- If you have a wood fireplace that hasn’t been used in months, fall is the perfect time to cozy up by the fire with a tea and a good book. So why not be proactive and give the fireplace a good cleaning so that you’re ready to go when the weather drops.
- If you’re pool isn’t closed down already, then you’ll want to tackle that job soon. Now is also the time to drain your outdoor hose, disconnect it from the outdoor faucet and put it into storage.
- Bring in any outdoor furniture that you don’t want to get ruined once the weather changes.
- Inspect your roof for areas of issues and leaks. The last thing you want is to discover your roof has a leak when you return home after a big rain storm.
- Have someone from HVAC come and inspect your furnace.
- There are some garden bulbs that you can plant in the fall so that the flowers will bloom in the spring. If you plan on doing some gardening, now is a good time before the ground freezes.
- Isn’t the best thing about fall a big comfy bed? Get rid of your light sheets and throw on a big duvet, and swap about your bedroom fan for some scented candles!