With winter quickly approaching, there isn't a lot you can do in terms of curb appeal for your home. But there's still alot you can do to ensure that the interior of your home is ready for a showing. Some quick and simple ideas that will make a big difference are:
- Make your house as bright as possible. This can sometimes be difficult with the darkness associated with winter, but do your best by opening the curtains/ blinds and turning on all the lights. If any bulbs need to be replaced, now would be the time to change them.
- Remove any personal touches (such as family photos) to make your home as neutral as possible. This will help potential buyers imagine the house as their own.
- Air out your house. Many people are allergic to scents, so candles or febreeze aren't the best idea. However, you can keep the house smelling fresh by leaving the windows open prior to the showing. But don't leave them open for too long, or the guests passing through may freeze!
- Declutter the house as much as possible. This will not only help your home appear larger, but it will also allow potential buyers to navigate through your home more easily.
- If you have a dinning room, set the table with your nicest glasswear to show how liveable yet elegant your home can be.
- Unplug and remove all of your appliances from the counters in the kitchen. Including your toaster, coffee machine, blender etc. This will help make your counter space seem larger.
- Even the most clean homes can sometimes have messy bathrooms. Make sure to spend extra time scrubbing your bathroom clean, remove all the used shampoo bottles, soap and towels and replace them with fresh decorative ones.
- Do your best to hide anything that isn't asthetically pleasing. For example, hide power cords under the mat or behind furniture.
These are just a few of the many things you can do to get ready for a showing. After your first showing, it can be helpful to create a list of everything you did to prepare and keep it handy for the next time. If you have any questions regarding making your home ready for a showing, please don't hesistate to contact us!